NFL betting in the future will look somewhat different.
– The favorite bets among NFL bettors will change over the next several years.
– NFL betting in the future will be affected by fantasy football.
Traditional NFL Betting
Betting on NFL games has always been about the point spread. The typical NFL bettor wagers on the spread. This might account for as much as 80 percent of all bets on the average NFL game.
NFL bettors study the various games and look for value in and among the various games in a given weekend. Buffalo -3, Kansas City -6, or Dallas +3. Each of these may offer something for the average NFL bettor.
There are other bets like moneyline and totals bets that are also still very popular, but a challenge is coming for these traditional bets. The next generation of NFL bettors has a different mindset when it comes to betting. That is going to affect NFL betting in the future.
The Rise of Fantasy Football
In the U.S. prior to 2018, sports betting was only legal in Nevada. There were a few states where some certain sports bets were allowed but, for the most part, gambling on sports was illegal in the U.S.
Then came fantasy sports. In most states, fantasy contests – fantasy football in this case – was the only way to legally risk money on a sports prediction. Fantasy football created a whole new group of fans that have become more interested in individual players rather than teams.
These fans that grew up competing in fantasy football leagues and contests are behind the latest trend in sports betting – NFL player props.
Fantasy players are now taking their knowledge of player performance and monetizing it in the form of betting on NFL player props.
Benefits of Betting NFL Player Props
Betting on NFL player props offers a number of advantages over betting on point spreads. First, player props allow bettors to get more specific with their predictions. For example, instead of betting that one team will beat another by more than six points, you can bet on how many passing yards a particular quarterback will throw for in the game.
This can make the betting process more exciting and engaging as you can root for specific players instead of just cheering for points.
Additionally, player props often offer better odds than point spreads. This is because there is more uncertainty when predicting individual player performances than there is when predicting the outcome of an entire game. As a result, bettors who are skilled at handicapping NFL player props can generate a healthy return on their investment.
FOOTBALL FANS READ THIS >>> BETTING ON THE CFL
The New King of Bets
At the last Super Bowl, a prominent sportsbook took more bets on a single NFL player prop than on the game’s point spread. The point spread has been the king of all NFL bets for years.
This new wave of bettors is finding the Anytime Touchdown category very lucrative. Sportsbooks will typically post odds for about 20 players (plus a defense) per team to score a touchdown during the game.
Some of the players listed are third-team guys with odds like +10000. The great thing is that even guys more likely to score can be found at plus-money on betting boards.
At last year’s Super Bowl at one sportsbook, more was bet on Rams WR Cooper Kupp to score a touchdown than on the game’s point spread. Kupp, of course, scored twice and the bet paid out. The Anytime Touchdown prop bet is becoming the new king of NFL bets.
Tips for Winning More NFL Props
Many sports bettors shy away from prop bets thinking they are too difficult to win. However, with a little bit of research, prop bets can be profitable. Here are a few tips to help you win on NFL player props:
1. Do the research. Look at a player’s past performance both in the regular season and in the playoffs. Pay attention to factors such as playing time, matchup, and weather conditions.
2. Be selective. There is no need to bet on every prop available. Stick to a few prop bets that you feel good about.
3. Stay up to date. Injuries and other factors can change a player’s performance in an instant. Be sure to stay up to date on the latest news so you can make the best possible decisions.
4. Shop for the best lines. You may wish to go offshore where you will find a wider selection of props and better odds.
5. Have fun. Remember, prop betting is supposed to be enjoyable. Don’t put too much pressure on yourself and enjoy!
NFL Betting – Bet Props Offshore
If you’re going to bet NFL player props, offshore sportsbooks are still the best choice. Many NFL bettors continue to take their business to books that offer them more advantages.
There are a number of reasons why offshore sportsbooks are still the best place to bet on the NFL. Here are three.
- Variety of Betting Options: Offshore sportsbooks offer much more variety when it comes to betting options than traditional venues do. For example, you can often find odds for things like who will win the coin toss or how many yards a team will gain on a certain play.
- Better Odds: One of the main reasons people turn to offshore sportsbooks is because they offer better odds than traditional venues do. This is especially true when it comes to betting on NFL games. They tend to have lower margins for bookmakers than other sports do.
- Better Bonuses: Offshore books are less regulated and aren’t overtaxed. As a result, they are able to pass on some of their savings to their customers in the form of bonuses and other incentives.